Saturday, November 14, 2009

audrey kawasaki

The irony illustrated in dreams and phantasms.
Ever since my Surrealism class with Professor Legge, my love and interest for surrealism still grows. It is one of the best ways to pierce into the artist's mind and beyond. It is the closest thing I will experience without having to go through all that crazy stuff Surrealists did back then.


her secret bird
Oil and graphite on wood 19x24
'Mayoi Michi' @ Copro Nason Gallery
2008


Two Sisters
oil and graphite on wood 24"x28.5
'Kakurenbou' @ Mondo Bizzarro
2008

I can't help butto love these paintings by Audrey Kawasaki. Despite the subjects are very innocent but still is quite disturbing to look at, the contrasting irony adds enigmatical characteristics to them.


In the Forest of Sleep
oil and graphite on wood 11.25"x18"
'Kakurenbou' @ Mondo Bizzarro
2008


Silent Stories
mixed media on wood 14"x11"
'The Drawing Show' @ Thinkspace
2008

The eyes of the characters are halfway closed, appears to be falling asleep, or being seductive?
I don't think it could have had similar effect if it wasn't for the wood.
The visible wood grooves add warmth to these erotic and mysterious paintings.
I love it more that it is not painted on plain white canvas. Amazing.



As I Fall
mixed media on wood 14"x11"
'The Drawing Show' @ Thinkspace
2008


I'd love to see her exhibition.
Her solo show is coming up in December at Jonathan Levine Gallery in New York City. I'd love to go see it. *sigh* will I be able to??

The show that's on now is amazing too.




Jim Houser, Make Room For The Emptiness.




I had so much fun reading her journals she posted. Wish I can be a part of it.. hahahaha
link to Audrey's blog

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love "Two sisters". The Shells are amazing!