Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Alegria by Cirque du Soleil

As the part of "one year anniversary package," Carl and I were supposed to go see the Ovo but he had gotten tickets to see Alegria instead, so we went.

I was so excited to see the Cirques, I've always wanted to see them for the longest time, but there was always something whenever they were in town, and now I can say, I saw the Cirque!


It was at John Labatt Centre in London. The seats were almost full. This was taken just before the show started, no photography was allowed, but I took it before they mentioned it so... it doesn't really count.. lol

"Alegria is an operatic introspection of the struggle for power and the invigorating energy of youth."

Each act was amazing, but my favourite was the Power Track.


It was filled with so much energy, I was on the edge of my seat. I wanted to run into the stage and join them on the trampolines.

The Fire Dance was most visually arousing, Contortion, Flying Man and Synchronized Trapeze were marvelously performed, and Russian Bar and the highlight of the show, Aerial High Bar, was unbelievable. I could not let go off of Carl's hands. The Aerial High Bar had safety net installed, but still, I can't imagine falling from 40ft above, crazy.


The Russian Bar, to me, seemed more challenging, team work was essential in catching the flyer land safely on that thin bars perched on two catcher's shoulders. A major OUCH in the crotch if they fell straight onto the bars... but that did not happen.

"The main theme is about the abuse of power and the subsequent struggle for freedom."

The Snow Storm scene at the end of Act 1 was quite strange, I did not understand it then but then I followed it up on Wikipedia and explains it:

Reflecting the eternal spirit of mankind, the clowns are witnesses to the passing of centuries, the social commentators of the world of Alegría. Grounded in real life, they tell little stories of everyday existence where everyone is a hero, and where anyone can fall in love and suffer a broken heart. The clowns are visionaries - philosophers of absurdity. Endearing, comical and childlike, they turn the world into a circus.

Hmmmmmm.... it was rather odd. The windblower blew so much white confetti it really did look like a snow storm. I am not quite fond of it tho.. seems we will be getting one pretty soon.. ARG!

The music was amazing too. I didn't expect any lyrical songs, but the singers dressed in elegant white and black dresses sang beautifully in their sexy husky voice (I wish I had that kind of voice..... :-S )


Despite my fear for grown-up in white make up with colourful face paintings, ie. clowns, the little acts between the performances were really entertaining. They were ok from a far distance. still scary...

I really really really want to see other Cirque du Soleil performances. It's something one should watch at least once in their lifetime. I had so much fun!! If I would have seen them when I was little, I would have hoped to become a member of the Cirque. Now my body is as stiff as a tree................ tears......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nado.......a single tear,

C^2 said...

U still got chances! at least from what I've seen at the 'Quest' after lol