Wednesday, December 23, 2009

kid's eye view

Love: Kid-Oriented Exhibition Labels @ Harbourfront Centre

One thing I really love seeing are the kid-oriented exhibition labels at Harbourfront Centre. Honestly, I consider them grownup-oriented as well. Which would you rather read, this:


or this:


I'd say the former, at least as an entry point. The kid labels are also placed a little lower (so grownups have to stoop to read them, dang it!). Incidentally, if you want to find out more about Mike Bayne's work, which is also worth a shout-out, go here.

Posted by Leah Sandals.


article from Leah Sandals' blog


--------------------------------------------------------


This is very exciting!!!
My efforts... though not 100%, are being published by Leah Sandals!!
She comes to the gallery often and has written some amazing articles on art including our gallery as well. I hoped to run into her one of these days when she comes. but so far, I only to read her name off the guestbook.

The Kid's Eye View, initiated in September 2008 for ARCADE exhibition, is still an ongoing project for me. I have learned that it is a lot harder to write from a kid's perspective than writing a term paper. To write about art without using some of the artistic terms I've used all of my academic life is painstaking. Breaking down and simplifying words are best worked with thesaurus; this feels very different though, it is usually the other way around, trying to look for a more 'intellectual' words, instead I need to go back to the simplest, elementary words.

With great support and helps from the my supervisors, I am learning and learning and learning everyday. It is always satisfying to see the exhibitions or artworks get published in papers, magazines or blogs. To see something I have done published, is ten times more satisfying!!!!
YAY!!!
This is one of the many many many benefits of working at Harbourfront Centre. I hope this Kid's Eye View labels will prominently become an essential part of Visual Arts at Harbourfront Centre in near future, but there is still so much to study and learn from.

studying NEVER ends.......

No comments: